Monday, February 20, 2012

Meat....loaf?

Assalaam Alakium girlies!

How has Monday treated you all? We just finished dinner over here and are probably just going to chill for the rest of the night. InshAllah we can wake up early to workout tomorrow morning. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again right?

I left my last post saying how I was going to make a Mediterranean meatloaf for dinner well, let's just say it wasn't really a "loaf". It fell apart once I served it. I think it was a combination of things: the veggies in it made it soggy, I added an egg when I didn't need to, I made it in advance so the liquid absorbed and I didn't add any breadcrumbs. Alhadmulliah, it was good nonetheless though. I'll play with the recipe next time and see how it "holds up" haha okay that was lame. 

The meatloaf wasn't picture worthy but I'll add a photo I found online of it. Here's the recipe. I recommend adding some type of breadcrumbs or crackers to keep it together. 

Mediterranean Meatloaf:


  • 1 pound of ground lean turkey
  • 1 cup packed chopped baby spinach (I didn't add this since I didn't have any)
  • 1 green bell pepper chopped
  • 1 zucchini, chopped 
  • 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes instead)
  • 1/4 cup peeled carrot
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning 
  • 1 package of meatloaf seasoning 
  • 2 egg whites (I just used one whole egg)
  • Breadcrumbs, enough to bind it all together
Mix all of the above and cook in a 350 degree oven for 55 minutes. Serves about 6. Enjoy! 

Remember, when cooking, you can switch things around according to what you like or have laying around. I hardly ever follow a recipe as is. Don't be scared to try something different or substitute items for things you enjoy. Be creative!

Have a wonderful night!

Wasalaam,

~Hijabi Butterfly~




No comments:

Post a Comment