Saturday, February 4, 2012

"Why did you become Muslim, sister?"

I get asked this question A LOT, in fact more than anything else. People want to know what drew me to Islam and to eventually become a Muslim. I remember being thrilled whenever someone asked me because I loved telling my story however, as the years have gone by I wonder if this is the only thing that matters to some people.

I understand the need to know "why", I ask "why" questions frequently. So much so, some people get irritated that I just can't take things at "face value". It's in my nature to know the why behind things so I totally understand this question. I also want to get it out there that as a convert, I don't want to be "just a story". I'm more than just my journey to Islam. There are so many reasons I chose this way of life but there are so many different layers as to what makes me......me. Get it?

Maybe someday I'll post an in-depth story, but for now I'd like to just write about my experiences as a non Muslim, new Muslim and Muslim of almost four years. I've evolved over the past five years and want to share it with you all. I think my experiences will be of more benefit than just my story and can help people who are in the those three stages I spoke of.

Converts need more than just a "Salaam, how are you?" approach. Converts need to know they have someone to talk to and can understand what they are going through. As a new convert, I was comforted with so many changes and it took me awhile to adapt certain things, like the hijab. Not all converts are the same, just like anyone else. Some converts start wearing the hijab as soon as they convert, maybe even before while others pray before they have converted.

My advice for those of you who were raised as Muslims, please be patient with us converts especially in our early days. Knowledge isn't learned overnight. It's important to think about what you are going to say before you say it and to always give your sisters in Islam the benefit of the doubt.

That's just a little insight from me, I need to get to bed soon. Huge headache... :(

I'll be back in the morning inshAllah

Wasalaam,

~Hijabi Butterfly~

No comments:

Post a Comment