Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Changes

Assalaam Alakium! 

Good morning! Happy Wednesday! We're officially halfway through the week! This morning I'm at Barnes and Noble...again. Having one car is a challenge for sure but I know it's a test and I just need to be patient. For this mornings post I wanted to discuss changes. Dun...dun...dun I don't think anyone likes changes. 


Change can definitely be a good thing but the fear of the unknown can sometimes prevent us from taking the first few steps into the direction of change. Coming into Islam is a huge life change and can be quite the adjustment. As I've mentioned before everyone is different and we all come from different backgrounds, cultures and experiences. These life experiences make us who we are today. Imagine living 20-30 years of your life being someone than converting to Islam and having to change all of that around okay, maybe not everything. But nonetheless, it's a tough thing to do. 

For example, before I converted to Islam music was. my life. I lived music, all day I listened to music, wanted to become a successful performer (vocalist) and hit it big in the music world. When I converted to Islam I began learning that music was undesirable and should be avoided due to the content of it. The first time I heard music was looked down upon in Islam was through a YouTube video. A part of me was crushed, I felt like I couldn't be my true self, like I had to become someone completely different. At first I resisted this change and would make excuses for listening to it. I then dug deeper into the subject and found more information and took a drastic change, I completely stopped listening to music. Cold turkey. I deleted almost all of the music on my computer and stopped listening to music in the car. A few months later, I broke down and started gradually listening to music again. It was so hard to change my thoughts on music. It's been a roller-coaster ride since but I know I need to take things slowly from now on. Completely ridding my life of music at once was not the best idea. I should have started out by getting rid of the most offensive music first and going from there. I'm still in the process and I trip up sometimes. Baby steps. 

When making a huge change in your life, especially in an area of your life you are very passionate about, start off small. There is no need to rush into a huge change. As long as you're intentions are right Allah will understand. No matter if we know it or not, we are changing everybody, inshAllah for the better, we just need to be open to the change and believe that Allah will get us through it. 

Here are a few tips on change:

1. Slow down. As I stated above, start with baby steps. Don't rush into a big change this will only make you uncomfortable and may be detrimental in the long run. 

2. Be willing to change. In order to change, you must come to terms with it. Don't just change something unwillingly. 

3. Reflect. Think about how this change will make you a better person. Try to picture your life in the future with this change. 

4. Support. Seek out support in friends and family. Find people who will respect your need to change and understand why you want this change in your life. 

5. Be positive. Use empowering words such as "I CAN do this, I WILL do this, This IS doable, I WILL be a better person after this" 


"If we don’t change, we don’t grow. If we don’t grow, we aren’t really living."Gail Sheehy

Please share in the comments any tips you have for making a change. 
Feel fee to share a experience you've had with change and what worked for you. 
Also, in the comments, leave your suggestions and recommendations. 

Have a great morning, 

Wasalaam,

~Hijabi Butterfly~





No comments:

Post a Comment