Friday, February 17, 2012

Resisting the urge

Assalaam Alakium ladies!

Jummah Mubarak! InshAllah you're Friday has been blessed. =) I spent the majority of my day cleaning and doing laundry. I feel so refreshed when everything is nice and tidy. I also resisted the urge to buy new hijabs. It was tough but I didn't give in.

The thing is, I have plenty of hijabs and there is absolutely no need for me to get anymore. Would it be nice to have some new hijabs, yes. Could that money be used for something else, most certainly yes. It took me awhile to really say "no" to myself. I had everything in the "shopping cart" and had looked over it about 10 different times. I even went to go get my credit card, but I stopped myself and told myself to just think about it for the day. Within an hour I had already decided against it. I'm not torn up about it either. =)

At times, I can be compulsive in turns of shopping. I'm really trying to make the effort to manage my money better. I grew up poor and never had any money to spend until I got a job, when I was 16. It felt so great to have money that I just went crazy buying all of the things I ever wanted. I never had any money left over for savings and just days after pay day I was broke. Being older and living with my husband independently has forced me to resist the urge to buy.

I've realized that most of the things we "need" we really don't and if we really thought about our purchases before we bought them our money situation would be different, and I say this for everyone. Islam teaches us to to live simply. There is a saying I love, "Live simply so others can simply live". I try to remind myself of this when I'm feeling compulsive. 

How do you resist the urge to shop?
Do you think about your purchases before you buy them?

Please share in the comments!

Have a great rest of the day. 

Wasalaam,

~Hijabi Butterfly~

No comments:

Post a Comment